Every strong leader wants to bring the best out in their employees and position them for success. But under pressure or time constraints, many leaders fall away from coaching mode and fall into “telling mode.”
With this in mind, I’ve put together 15 questions that will help leaders coach and empower their team members, even when the heat is on.
- What have you thought about or already tried?
- What do you think could work here?
- What’s getting in the way of success?
- What is your back-up plan if it doesn’t work?
- What are some options and which feels right?
- What is just one more possibility?
- If you could do it over again, what would you do?
- What are the pros and cons?
- What seems to be the main obstacle?
- What do you want to do, short and long term?
- What steps do you want to take?
- How will you know if you reached your goal?
- What is the timing? When do you want to get started?
- How do you want to be held accountable?
- When will we follow-up/meet again?
Which three or four will you add to your repertoire to empower your employees to look at things from a different perspective, explore options and be decisive, especially in the presence of volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity?
Members: Post your comments in our NEW Member Community.